Saturday 6 July 2013

Pre-Launch of Jasmine Street: The Brand and Reader's Feedback Please! Blog 142

Good morning,


Its 6.30 am on the most beautiful Saturday morning. I am sitting in the stillness of the Terrace Canteen here at the Granary where my new Jasmine Street Studio is starting to take shape. The water is gently lapping against the side of the building, and the old wreck of a boat moves in rhythm with it. Its peaceful and quiet and no one is yet stirring in the tugs and houseboats just below. 


I have been working solo on this Canteen installation for the past month or so now. Thanks to the generosity of Steve Drury - Development Director for Rooff who own the Malthouse and the Granary buildings here in the Ice House Cultural Quarter I have been given carte blanche to play. The empty shell of the soon to be terrace cafe lends itself to a foray into the imagination. I suggested some time ago that I would like to prototype a 1950's style cafe environment here, in some part paying homage to the soulful, art saturated cafes of Wroclaw. 



And so I have been madly sourcing wonderful fifties kitsch from ebay, formica tables and chairs, teapots, posters, vases - to create a pop-up installation here. My idea is that this is a changeable thing, flexible and fluid allowing for a different theme every six months or so. I want it to be inviting and eclectic, a move away from the homogeneity of the Costa Coffees and Starbucks. A place that is unique and sparks imagination. So I am testing it tomorrow with a small private gathering to share Jasmine Street with friends. 


I am also working with designer Jon Williams on the Jasmine Street brand, and I would very much like your feedback about the first images for my business card and website. 

Jasmine Street is a simple idea.Its a Creative Lab, or more precisely An Imagination Laboratory. I have already started inviting people in for a cuppa, other artists from a range of disciplines, potential collaborators from 

different organisations, clients for my Voiceworks programme (public speaking, confidence and presentation coaching). Its been fun already! Here is a photo of James Mitchell tackling Fern Hill by Dylan Thomas in his Voiceworks coaching session this week. Kindly reproduced with James' permission! 


I would really appreciate your feedback on the design images - perhaps especially those readers who have been dipping in and out of this and my Cinderella blog since I embarked on my blogging journey last November. Please comment on here directly - or feel free to email me your comments confidentially at jasminestreetlab@gmail.com.

I will listen with care to your comments and put them in the mix as the brand image develops. Thanks for this in advance. 

Here are a couple of the initial images - the intention is that the look and feel is retro - Fifties style, feeling of a place, a street, laboratory. 


There are a few more but I don't seem to be able to capture them on here! Your thoughts will be much appreciated. 

Have a great sunny day! 































No comments: