Wednesday 31 July 2013

I have no work today: Lilly in the Driving Seat Blog Post 2



Hello everyone!

How we all doing today? I thought I’d follow up my last blog with a new one today as I have no work! I was on standby waiting for a call all morning but no, sadly nothing...anyway such is life. So instead I am writing this blog from the comfort of my own bed, which also doubles as my office. Do most of my writing here! Is that bad? Well if I need a nap in between I think it works out quite well!

So yeah maybe I should talk about my writing a little bit, as eventually I would like to leave my part time job and go in to writing more full time. But surely this is what we all want, to do a job that we actually enjoy! Standing on shop floors in high heels all day isn’t much fun. You know those “baby on board” badges that pregnant ladies wear on the tube, well sometimes I think they should invent one saying “standing in heels all day” ...now give me your seat! 

You know those men that push past you to get the seat and they’ve been sitting down in an office all day? Yeah I hate that... and I’m only a small person, I have small feet, if you step on them you are basically stupid. (Keeping it clean Carole) Also rucksacks...need I say more?  Anyway, went slightly off topic there. So yes as far as my writing is concerned I have been doing it for as long as I can remember, even in primary school I was writing short stories and poetry, some of which were pretty dark, or a bit strange... When I was thirteen I was a runner up in a poetry competition with my poem ‘Figure’ which was about a man who had sold his soul to the devil. Yep. 



Most recently I had a staged reading of my play ‘Dirty Promises’ at Samuel French’s bookshop near Goodge st. It was the second staged reading of the play and had some great feedback and interest. It was in association with The So & So Arts club which is run by Sarah Berger. The club is all about creating work and joining together as artists from all walks of life. If you would like to know more why not check out the clubs page http://www.thesoandsoartsclub.com/

The play is still being developed and is being sent in to theatre’s etc. By the end of the year I should know more, but it is looking good.

So the play is essentially about domestic violence within a young couple’s relationship, with a friend getting caught in the middle. It is dark and poetic and uses lots of abstract imagery, but also has a lot of black comedy. It is set in the urban surroundings of Camden, but really at the end you are left wondering if any of it was actually real.

The poster for the first staged reading at The Theatre Royal Stratford East.

So what’s next? Well I am currently working on several new projects, and am always thinking up new ways of creating! So if I could eventually leave the shop floor that would make me most happy...but until then I’ll keep slogging it out! Keep writing, keep auditioning etc. Unless somebody wants to offer me a job... Until next time.

Lilly.

No comments: