Friday 7 June 2013

Procrastination, Outputs and Hardcore Fundraising. Blog 125

Morning.....

Ok so this is going to be a very sparse blog post today. I have to pull my finger out and apply myself to hardcore fundraising application writing today with a target of completion by Sunday at the latest. And its for a lot of money - over 200k. I have been putting it off. I am not sure what's happened to this week, but I have not been working at the top of my game - possibly a variety of reasons - not least the call on mortality's door by my dear old pop. I need a holiday - don't we all (and don't we all say that at the moment of procrastination - I certainly do) Although the gloriousness of the sunshine on my patio this week does echo foreign climes  - ah maybe that's the cause of my procrastination.

One of the jobs of keeping an organisation afloat is of course the raising of money for projects. I don't often blog about it because my dear readers might fall asleep if I present them with GANT charts and SWOT and PEST analyses, endless spreadsheets, soft and hard outcomes and outputs. You see - you see  - bet you have switched off already. 

And there's the rub, this bit of the job is the vital engine for realising the space for creativity - and indeed its the essential rigorous process of birthing an idea so that it can have a life. Maybe not such a sexy pursuit but its an organisation's life blood frankly. The best ideas in the world struggle to realise themselves without a little bit of dosh or in-kind support. Money is a powerful life force and we artists can be a bit snotty and precious about thinking that the creative idea force is everything (isn't it?).

I am naturally rebellious, or unconventional as I was recently called (mm - thesis on the nature of convention to follow I feel sure) which gets in the way sometimes of the systematic and concentrated imperative of writing a compelling funding bid. Loads of people are so much more accomplished than I am at this and have the staying power! 

My most natural suit is to sit and muse on new theatre projects as I did for a couple of hours with Tim Major yesterday. Living a bit too enthusiastically in the land of the dreamer. Think we are on to something though. Indeed my naughty inclination would be to abandon said application writing in favour of more 'justified' research into Tim's and my new project. Sorry Tim - dammit - application wins. 

I am going to ban myself from all social media activity until 3.30pm this afternoon. There - said it. Tied to the desk till then.




Hope you have fun too if you are planning to stare at spreadsheets - or clear up outputs. If not - its Friday - have a siesta and enjoy the sunshine. Be back to you.

No comments: