Monday 13 May 2013

Oliver and Gostelow Make it to the Semi-Final of Search for a Twitter Composer! Blog 110

Morning all!

Well another week begins after a lovely weekend! I wonder what adventures are in store for this week. Sometimes I feel that I am reading a book in which I have no idea what the next chapter will bring, the twists and turns and inevitable surprises of every day. Just when you think you know what you are doing something pops up and invites you to do or think differently. I guess its a question of having a plan but at the same time being receptive to life in its gloriousness! Those wonderful moments when something happens that takes you in a new direction, albeit often a small thing it always reminds me that control is an illusion! 

Yesterday I went on a journey back to my old house in Harlow to visit a friend who still rents a little house in the garden there. Scones, cream jam and a cup of tea and a walk around my former garden and home and a good catch up!

I know some people don't like to retrace steps and indulge in nostalgia - but I have been developing a knack for this recently. It was lovely. I enjoyed the opportunity to see my friend and to experience how the house is now, and at the same time to superimpose images from my memory on how it was when we lived there with our growing family.

Familiar, still with some of our things left to the new owners, wall colours and some furniture still the same, but inhabited now with different personalities and stories. I liked the feeling of continuity it gave me. Its a reminder that all places and buildings carry the secrets of many lives lived there. What appears real and concrete is simply the current configuration. In some ways its like directing a play - arranging the characters, narrative, emotions and physical space to serve its purpose for that particular setting until it dissolves and becomes an echo.

Memory holds much of it, but returning to special places also surprises with things forgotten. For example there is a lovely wooden key holder hanging by the front door that we forgot to take, and seeing it again immediately took me back to when our kids were small and would jump up and down to try to reach it and get the key! Small things but rich in emotional texture.

Yesterday's road trip then took me to some old friends home not far from Harlow. And it was a riot! I found myself giving my friend Jo a lesson in social media and how to listen to Iplayer! She is a self confessed 'oldie' when it comes to using modern technology and as we agreed typical of the older generation digital divide - what is the point of Facebook? and Twitter - well what on earth is that for? What is it for?

Well one thing it was for yesterday was the announcement by the Westendproducer search for a musical composer that Phil and Olly have got through to the semi-final of the competition! What great news and big
congratulations to them both. Everyone at Arc is so proud of them and we have been pleased to support them both in developing their songs.



Next stage is a live working of their songs at the Soho Theatre - will be great. So thanks a million to all our friends, known and unknown who voted for them.We wish them luck for the next stage. Have a look at the website where tickets are onsale already for the live semi-finals! 

http://www.westendproducer.co.uk/#!semifinalists/c28b

So off to write a paper for my Board, meeting at the Arts Council and then dinner tonight with Jon Snow our new Patron and the Arc Board of management and staff. 

Have a good one.




2 comments:

ian teague said...

Well done "Oliver and Gostelow"!

ian teague said...

Oliver and Gostelow or Gostelow and Oliver - which sounds better?
sorry Phil I think Oliver and Gostlow works best but on the other hand Gostlow and Oliver would put you higher in an alphabetical ranking.