Saturday 18 May 2013

Off to Poland: Blog Holiday - Blog 114


Good morning.


Arc Theatre at the Malthouse Barking
Bit of a full on day yesterday in more ways than one  - including a panel interview with a prominent Housing Association for a piece of new business   - a summer theatre school for families and children aged 8-16. I hadn't expected it to be formal but I think it went well and I am hopeful that Arc will win the contract. If so the programme will draw its participants from one estate in Barking and it will be a departure for Arc to work with a private provider. I am pleased that they have the foresight to recognise the need for meaningful and fun arts activities especially at a time when Local Authority funding for such programmes has been drastically cut.


I am taking a blog holiday now until I get back from Poland after the Bank Holiday when I am sure I will have lots of news to share. I am going specifically to see Teatr Arka's new show which they are bringing to the Edinburgh Festival in August and which I am hoping Arc will host at the Malthouse Studios. I am also due to meet with the organisers of the Wroclaw European City of Culture 2016 programme which Maciej has organised. That should be interesting with regard to a potential international theatre exchange between the two Arcs. There is significant European funding available which the UK doesn't access enough - so I am hoping the meetings with Arc's Polish partners will be fruitful. Watch this space!

Arka's Macbeth
Arka
So a timely break now for ten days from all the current projects in discussion and development at Arc  -  it will be a useful opportunity to reflect and get perspective from a distance. I now need to consider which ideas and projects offer a realistic future potential for Arc going forward and where I can best focus my attention. Its been a very busy few weeks of exploration of ideas with lots of interesting and speculative conversations with potential clients and creative partners - now its time to digest and reflect on which have legs and into which of these I will put my limited energy and focus. The Polish visit has come just at the right time!

Catch up with you soon  - enjoy the Bank Holiday when it comes. Let's hope its sunny! (In Poland too!)







Wroclaw City Centre Square








No comments: