Thursday 15 August 2013

The Need for Stillness: Blog 161

Hi y'all


Amari - Chef and Chief Bottle Washer!
Yesterday was another intensely full on day - trouble shooting, answering myriad questions, writing the programme, having great conversations, setting up a theatre, being with Amari as she cooked, carrying hot dishes, washing up  - living in community. And it was great. There were so many things to think about and do, last minute challenges, organisational problems.... usual life stuff actually -things we all deal with all of the time. 

Yesterday was also marked by the opening of an envelope from a very old friend who I haven't seen for over 30 years, and inside a lovely letter and guess what....a donation of £500 for the ARKA project. I was so delighted and it means we have raised £1800 towards the visit which is simply wonderful. Thanks so much Francesca.


ARKA supper on the Terrace At the Granary
Leading a project like the ARKA visit is a great privilege, but it also brings with it a type of being 'on' all the time that also makes me need to run for the hills sometimes. 

Indeed afternoon naps for half an hour have become de rigeur for me to recharge my batteries. I think the Spanish got it right when they followed their natural instincts for rest and retreat in the form of the siesta. Built into this culture an innate understanding that we live with a natural rhythm of engaging with community and 'doing' stuff and the need for solitude and restoration.

But even the Spanish don't do siesta in quite the way they did when I was a kid on holiday in the Costa Brava where we had to stop playing and go to bed for an hour! They too have succumbed to the always chatting world intensified in the past twenty years by a 24/7 culture with a bias that indicates we should all be available all of the time. It leads to a type of speed and reactivity that can also get us into trouble. We are demanded to respond instantly, knee jerking often and its become part of our culture to see this as normal. But whilst a quick response to the fire alarm is appropriate, not all speed gives us the most judicious or best solutions. 

Yesterday was wonderful, full of creativity, generosity and fun.. but by 6pm I just wanted to retreat by myself to my flat with a good film and a glass of wine. Maciej and Anula needed their space too - so off they went for a walk around Barking and a guinness in the park. I didn't join them, but came back to rest and indeed fell asleep very early. 

This led me to thinking about the 'out-there' society we have become, with an implication that this is the best way to be. And I am 'out there' a great deal - my work demands a certain amount of this - in person and through social media, but I also need periods of down time to process and rest as we all do. That's why 5am-9am are such magical hours for me, to think, read and write and I since I was a child I have always loved this time with stillness and no obligations.

I have a few friends, quite a few in fact who are lovers of solitude. I am not sure they need it more than I do - they are just better at honouring it in themselves and taking it as an entitlement. The thing that is distinctive about them is that they know how to 'check-out' and they do this without guilt or apology - they know they need to retreat to solitude to maintain their equilibrium, indeed they would be no good the rest of the time if they didn't.

These are often those people who in the current cultural bias for gregarious living might be seen as standoffish or plain rude, even selfish for taking space for themselves. And yet here's the paradox... throughout all time all great religions and sciences have always recognised and honoured time for reflection. Indeed much of the greatest thinking, insight and indeed innovation has clearly come from such personal solitude. It was Einstein lying alone daydreaming on the grass who came up with his first leap of understanding about the speed of light after all.

So whilst I am not saying that great collaboration and team work aren't wonderful and life enhancing, I am also reflecting on my own needs and observing those of others that suggest a rebalance is in order - that silence and time of retreat are essential for all of us, in whatever combination we need personally to feel energised and productive in our lives and works.

So it was another early night last night for me to do just that - recharge my batteries, with no sense of obligation to others. And today the Poles are off to London to see the sights and we will regroup appropriately later this evening for more communal eating and fun, and then the first performance of The Ball at Stephen Hawking's.


Tickets are going well - you can still reserve by calling 0208 594 1095 - or book online 


August 15th https://taleoftwoarcs.eventbrite.co.uk/
August 16th https://taleoftwoarcs2.eventbrite.co.uk/

August 17th https://taleoftwoarcs3.eventbrite.co.uk/

Hope to see you there!

No comments: