Saturday 16 March 2013

Alma Mater: Return to Exeter Blog 60


Morning!


Exeter University Drama Department
Its Saturday again and I am catching the 7.45 National Express coach to Exeter for the weekend. I am going to see my dear friends Dorinda and Peter Hulton. I studied drama at the university and Dorinda was my teacher and is one of my closest friends and creative inspirations. Much of my own practice is rooted in what I learned from working with her as a young student and our over 30 years of ongoing conversation!

Although now officially retired from teaching Dorinda is still extensively involved in theatre practice. Her theatre practice research work includes The One Square Foot Project is ‘an investigation into the role of the ‘creative actor’ within interdisciplinary processes leading to performance’.


" Dorinda’s role in the project as a whole is that of co-director with Arianna Economou of Echo-Arts Living Arts Center, Cyprus http://www.echo-arts.info/ and her roles within the artistic processes leading to performance are those of Director and Dramaturg.The project as a whole is a collaborative investigation between Echo-Arts Living Arts Center, Cyprus, and Theatre Alibi, UK (Artistic Director, Nikki Sved) The project has been conducted in three stages each of which has culminated in performances of ‘new work’ collaboratively authored by established professional creative artists using innovative interdisciplinary methods"

The Mighty Hulton!

Dorinda has also practised Iyengar yoga for many years and has used it as an essential part of her actor training work. When I was a student we used to start every practical session with at least 45 minutes of yoga.Dorinda is currently working on a new publication about this aspect of her practice. Have a look at her website http://www.dorindahulton.co.uk/ 

I am very much looking forward to spending time with her and Peter and maybe going for a nice long walk on Dartmoor with Les and Erica Read who were also my teachers. I will also have a weekend of being called Pluck. Dorinda and Natalie are the only two people who have called me this over the years - strange! 


I have no doubt though that I will return to work on Monday with a head full of new ideas and ways of looking at things that will inspire. Funny isn't it  - your teacher never stops being your teacher. 

Look forward to sharing some of the relevant discussions with you as they emerge over the weekend.

Have a good one.



Ps: I also highly recommend the book on actor training by my friend Alison Hodge - which references Dorinda's work also. 















No comments: