Tuesday 3 September 2013

Zip Cars and writing in Archway: Blog 172

Morning!

So it was a full on week end with a long drive into the wilds of Norfolk for my cousin's wedding party. Mark and Emily did the tying of the knot literally in an ancient handfasting ceremony and a stylish fifties bash in the late summer warmth. It was hugely creative.The long journey back with my daughter and her boyfriend was a great chance to catch up and I fell exhausted into bed early and slept for England or at least for Norfolk! 

But I have to start today's blog also with a plug for Zipcars - I'm not usually in the habit of advertising anything much other than good books I have read, shows I rate, maybe the odd restaurant or holiday resort, but I have to shout loud about the revolution that is Zipcars. http://www.zipcar.co.uk/ well its not much of a revolution - the company and the concept have been around since 2000 and I only found out about it a year or so ago. 

Having totalled my car a few weeks ago and waiting for the insurance payout - not likely to be very much, I pondered on the prospect of the next big wheels purchase. Mmmm..... I live in London, why do I need a car? well there's the supermarket shop.... but I've just bought a granny trolley (purple with black paw marks ... yes I know), then there's the visit to see my Mum and Dad in Kent... get the train, my hairdresser in Dunmow?... forget it, there are hairdressers in Barking - I think? So conclusion: Do not buy a new car (it would never be actually new), and then there is the environment....change your lifestyle Pluckrose. And this is where the Zipcar comes in. 

I cannot tell you how excited I was to do my research and get a bit more of an idea of how this car-sharing thing works. Its like the Boris bike indeed. And this is big business - as of July 2013, the company had more than than 810,000 members and offers nearly 10,000 vehicles throughout the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Spain and Austria, making Zipcar the world's leading car sharing network. And to boot one of these little lovelies is parked on my road! Can you imagine the excitement I felt when I went to visit my new little black VW? Well it felt like mine.... without the servicing, the taxing, the MOT and the insurance. It feels like a liberation. I can use it when I want to by booking online for as little as an hour for £5, so if I do decide that the granny trolley image isn't good for me.. well I can hop in the car and then abandon it when I have got my shopping. So just a little plug there for a great example of a creative and practical solution to a perceived need! 

Back to the main course. Having had an amazing time on my creative writing course earlier in the summer at Cortijo Romero, I decided to join playwright Diane Samuel's creative writing course in London. Last night was my first forray to Archway (well not first ever) for the first session. Much to my delight there is a direct overground line so no Zipcar needed. 

As I walked up from the station, it felt like the  first day back at school, and certainly the coolness of the early evening air enhanced that feeling as it brought back many September memories. Another adventure. Diane had asked us to bring our notebook, pen and an object representing time. I have a drawer full of beautiful unused notebooks, people often give them to me as gifts. I had chosen one with a brown cover, a medium sized one that would fit into my bag easily, and one which from now on would be dedicated to Monday writing group. And for my object of time  - no hesitation, I dug out one of my many diaries, this the one from 1975. I didn't even open the cover but tossed it into my handbag just before leaving the flat. I haven't even opened its pages for years so had no idea what I might be revealing should the pages fall open on my teenage self! But there couldn't be too much dark material.. or could there?

I always find it  a little nerve wracking walking into a room full of strangers and yesterday was no different. Of course everyone was very welcoming, and I was relieved that I wasn't the only newbie.Eight of us sitting round in a cosy room, we began. It was easy and familiar in spite of being in the company of strangers. Its that thing I know so well, a group of people come together with a shared purpose, and within minutes all awkwardness is gone. No need to define or reveal myself, simply to get on with the process.

Words are like little gifts, phrases emerge from everyone that strike authentic chords and allow engagement in the imagination and subconscious with such ease. You simply write whatever comes into your mind, starting with a word or phrase given to us by Diane, whatever pops into the mind is where its at. The group is made up of people who write, or want to write, some are published, some not, some have no desire to be. 

The 'time pieces' were eclectic and fascinating, from a school timetable to an amonite fossil. And we write. For a moment when my precious diary leaves me to become a focus object for someone else I feel a slight nervousness. Maybe this was a bit too much for a first session. The 'Jesus loves you' sticker on the front and the little love notes nestled inside the pages might give too much away after all. But I soon relax and trust. I must have brought it for a reason. We each write in response to other people's objects, and its as if each object is imbued with its own silent story. Its amazing how they speak to us, often connecting in surprising and exquisite moments of synchronicity. The two hours passed in a flash and ended with each of us writing one of our phrases on a postit and giving it as a gift to the owner of the object. Mine was - 'Ah, the sea's a rough master' - I liked that and slipped it inside the covers of my old diary friend. 

And so the first session over I made my way back on the overground to Barking excited and reflective. This writing bug has always been with me, and there is much yet to write, including my quietly emerging novel - Waking Eleanor. But no rush or pressure here, no need to force the birth. Simply to be on the journey of discovery. Feels good.

And so off today to more meetings and some excitement about the potential of a new agent for my freelance directing. All good really.

Have a great day.

No comments: