Wednesday 10 April 2013

Return to Barking Freshly and Lech Twardowski: Blog 85

Morning!

This isn't actually it - but i rather like the look of it
For those of you who were profoundly worried about my lost purse I am sure you will be relieved to know that I finally retrieved it yesterday from a tiny lock up in an industrial estate in Elsenham - hee hee!

Reminder to self:
remember to work harder at remaining focused on the physical world. You are potentially a danger to yourself and those around you. 
I refer you to my earlier blog about the benefits of a well trained minder. 

I had a couple of very good meetings yesterday at which I shared some of the ideas generated in Poland. The most interesting context I think is that Wroclaw is one of the two European Cities of culture in 2016, and as such Maciej is working on a revitalisation of the famous Wroclaw International Festival in a new contemporary form. 


The connections we have just made with Teatru Arka and others make it possible to think about new ways of creating links and potentially site specific collaborations and co-productions. I was also chatting to my colleague here in Barking about the possibility of bringing the East London Polish community together through such a project. Just thoughts at the moment, and any suggestions or contacts here would be very welcome.

The other artist with whom I got to spend some time in Wroclaw is the painter Lech Twardowski. I was lucky enough to be invited to his studios at the top of a decadent turne de siecle house where he shared some of his work. Have a look at some of it and his comments at  Artists talk 

 http://www.artisttalk.eu/lech-twardowski-pl/

Lech exhibits widely internationally, although not in London yet. His latest exhibition was at the National Museum in Wroclaw and his uncompromisingly brutal  and soulful work gets much attention. 

We have started an interesting dialogue about some of his site specific pieces in urban landscapes and I am keen to pursue this in relation to the international exchange and collaborations ideas that are in their infancy since my visit. Here are a few images of some of Lech's work. I have no idea of the potential shape of the collaboration yet or even how and if it might work, but the specific emphasis on making large pieces for urban landscapes has synergy with some of the site specific multi artform performance ideas we are currently exploring.

Much to still download with colleagues and friends!
Have a great day.


























No comments: