Thursday 6 June 2013

The Power of Community: Blog 124

Good morning.


I was mightily relieved to get the news yesterday that my Dad was home, stable and in good spirits. And a lot of other people expressed this too on Facebook - we were grateful for that -hugely.

Although I am a great fan of social media and use it extensively, I am also wary of the dangers of exposure or misinterpretation both personally and organisationally.I guess if you choose to put yourself out there then you have to live with the consequences. 


Will Hutton
A few years ago I had the good fortune to be a fellow school governor with the writer and journalist Will Hutton and one day we were in one of those rather boring discussions about the merits of social media. Twitter hadn't really got off the ground at that time and people were still mystified by what it was for. But Will who is a skilled player of the political and media worlds said wryly "Everytime you post anything on a social media site you have to remember that you might as well be putting it on the front page of the Daily Mail " (I hasten to add that the Mail was not Will's paper). And of course its sound advice - look how its got people into trouble with partners, employers, friends and more.


So it's more often than not with Will's words echoing in my head that I make my choices about what to post. The golden rule for me in deciding what to post is whether I consider it might be of use or interest to other people, may contribute to a debate, share a perspective - a joke or an opinion or simply be a way of supporting others which after all is what makes a community. The latter is very important to me and I really felt it strongly this week when my Dad went into hospital. Simply posting this on my Facebook page elicited such warmth, kindness and support that it touched me deeply.

As well as my friends and family all over the world checking in and sending best wishes, my contacts and colleagues through Facebook groups I belong to shared theirs, even people that I do not know. In Barking and Dagenham the CVS recently set up a Facebook Group to serve the community and within weeks it has a membership of over 240 and is established as a virtual meeting place. Its early days but its working well, people are sharing what they are up to and bits about themselves which are leading to new opportunities and the sharing of ideas in the real world. Indeed I had two meetings yesterday with extraordinary women who were brought together through this group - and we are already planning creative projects together! We may not have got the hang of Twitter a few years ago but most people are engaged at some level with the social media now even if they don't have access to it at home and are begrudging attenders!

In the busy maelstrom of our lives Facebook and the like can offer us moments of real connection with others, snippets about lives and the exchange of stories, images and ideas that may sometimes lead to concrete action in the 'real' world. 

At the heart of community is relationship and Facebook simply reflects this back to us with a virtual mirror. So what is good is good and what is not so good - well.......

If we fail to understand how it works and get ourselves into trouble then its our own fault really. And just like in the 'olden' days when people gossiped across garden fences, so it is with these sites -  in the light its positive and reaffirming as it has been this week for my family, and in the shadow it can ruin careers and relationships. So I guess its just a question of remembering to proceed with caution - and keep Will Hutton's words close to mind too.

I am blessed with living and making theatre in a fabulous community who support each other and demonstrate little acts of kindness on a daily basis. 
Thanks to my friends and colleagues in Barking and Dagenham! 

Barking Market

Have a good one.

No comments: